Memphis mayor: 6 officers treated at hospital

Lester Mason
June 13, 2019

Shelby County Commissioner Tami Sawyer identified the fugitive who was killed, but the man was not named by authorities. The officers fired at the man, killing him, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, which is investigating the shooting.

Protests broke out in the city of Memphis Wednesday night after USA marshals fatally shot a man, leaving 24 police officers and two journalists injured. "I'm impressed by their professionalism and incredible restraint as they endured concrete rocks being thrown at them and people spitting at them".

The shooting happened around 7 p.m. Authorities said the Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force of the U.S. Marshal Service was involved. While attempting to arrest him, he rammed his vehicle into the officer's vehicles, then exited the vehicle with a weapon.

The turmoil came after U.S. marshals shot and killed a man Wednesday night in the north Memphis neighborhood of Frayser, officials said.

Several MPD officers received minor injuries after some people in a crowd at the scene began throwing bricks and rocks at the officers, Memphis police said.

Memphis police, who say they were not involved in the shooting, were called to assist investigators as a crowd grew around the scene.

Chaos ensued when protesters gathered at the crime scene. No officers were injured in that encounter.

A Memphis police officer looks over a damaged squad auto on Wednesday in Memphis. It is, as yet, unknown how many shots were fired or how many times the suspect was hit.

Family members confirmed to the Daily Memphian that 21-year-old Brandon Weber died. As in any case, TBI's investigative findings will be shared with the District Attorney General throughout the process for her review.

Police director Michael Rallings implored residents to wait until the TBI finishes its investigation before spreading possible misinformation about the shooting. As more protesters arrived, more police appeared, ultimately leading to confrontation. "I need everyone to stay calm", Rallings said.

"A concrete wall outside a business was torn down". Police cars and a nearby fire station were damaged.

"Let me be clear - the aggression shown toward our officers and deputies tonight was unwarranted", Strickland said.

Passion Anderson, a 34-year old student, brought her 13-year-old son to the scene early Thursday.

"I just want him to see this, know what's going on, to be conscious", she said from the driver's seat of her vehicle, with her son in the passenger seat. 'I fear for him all the time'.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article