Huawei Postpones Announcement of New Laptop Due to US Blacklisting

Doris Richards
June 14, 2019

"Huawei will release a new laptop product in July, with different models and configurations compared with previous series such as the MateBook and HonorBook, a source close to the matter confirmed to the Global Times", the news organization said.

The American website CNBC quoted Richard Yu, chief executive of the company's consumer division, as saying that the launch had been planned but had been put on hold. If Huawei will find itself on the trade ban list for too long, the laptop most likely will not launch at all, he added.

Huawei has also "paused production at its personal-computer business because of restrictions on buying United States components", the Wall Street Journal reported.

He said that being on the US Entity List had caused the cancellation.

The US government's clamp-down on Huawei has produced its first victim, with the Chinese tech firm canceling the launch of an upcoming product over the trade blacklist.


This refers to a list of foreign parties that the US Department of Commerce has judged to pose a potential national security or foreign policy threat.

Huawei has suggested that its stockpiling of components and proprietary technology will mitigate the effect of United States sanctions, and the laptop division only represents a tiny sliver of the company's business. Its top-of-the-range Matebook X Pro runs Microsoft's Windows operating system and uses chips by Intel.

According to Digitimes reports, some Huawei suppliers would have received a notice regarding the suspension of deliveries of notebook components. Microsoft has said nothing about what is happening but has removed Huawei laptops from sale. CRN has also reached out to Huawei for comment.

However, on June 13, an insider told the Global Times that the reports that Huawei had halted laptop production simply weren't true.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER